This is certainly not the healthiest of recipes but, we had this during a family weekend a few weeks ago and it has been on my mind since. With fall right around the corner, this is a winning recipe for those family events, football game tailgates or cool fall evening gatherings. It's easy, tasty, and surely one that will leave folks wanting more!
Well, guys I have decided to accept another challenge. This is turning out to be the year of accepting challenges - squat challenge, reading challenge, now eating challenge. I'm a little nervous to see what else is in the works for me this year, but there's nothing like testing yourself and your limits. So, I say bring it on!
I have been hearing non-stop about this Whole30 eating challenge that's been circulating my friends groups and social media. Now, I have never been one to diet or obsess over eating. Those who know me well know that I love nothing more than to grub on some yummy food. So, why I chose to accept this challenge of knocking out some of the yummiest foods from my menu for an entire month? I have no idea! But, here I am coming to the end of my first week of participating in the Whole30 challenge. Boy, it's going to be a long month. I'm excited, feeling good and always willing to accept a personal challenge - it's only 30 days, right?
Farmers Market Breakfast Casserole
The Best's have been very busy lately. I have been finishing out the first semester of school while Josh has returned back to work after our summer trip abroad. His load has been filled with time committing projects. So, when it comes to eating we have been relying on casseroles and quick fixes.
This Farmers Market Casserole was taken and altered a tad from twohealthykitchens.com. They have some great tips and healthy eating recipes. Check them out!
What you'll Need:
1 lb. Spicy Italian Sausage
1 1/2 cups diced sweet onion
8 oz. diced mushrooms
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup diced green tomatoes
2-3 tomatoes (diced - 1 - 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cups chopped green onions
1 3/4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cajun seasoning
How to Make It:
1. Preheat Oven to 375°F.
2. In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onions, mushrooms and garlic until sausage is crumbled and cooked all the way through.
3. Drain the liquid.
4. In a 9x3 oven friendly casserole dish layer the hash browns (still frozen is fine), sausage mix, 1 cup of cheese, green peppers, tomatoes and top it off with the green onions.
5. In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cajun seasoning. After mixed add the remaining cup of cheddar cheese. Mix and pour over the Ingredients already in the casserole dish.
6. Bake casserole for 60 minutes. Best cooked when edges are lightly brown.
7. Enjoy with fresh homemade biscuits or toast.
I am in no way affiliated with twohealthykitchens.com