This latest recipe find has become the perfect addition to my bread obsession rotation. I'm always looking for healthier, new options to bake and recently most of my breads have used almond flour instead of wheat or white flour, but this recipe brings me right back to the whole-wheat/white flour combo that I've so traditionally loved. It hasn't disappointed and makes for a delicious afternoon treat, or side item to add to the breakfast plate. Just toast and top with a little melted butter and you have a delicious baked good that's unique and even on the healthier side of breads.
This recipe was adapted from one of my Mom's Cookbooks from Gaston Co., North Carolina.
*3 Cups Flour: 1 1/2 C. of White Flour, 1 1/2 C. of Wheat Flour
*1 1/4 Cups Rolled Oats
* 1 1/2 TBSP Baking Powder
*2 Tsp Salt
3 TBSP Syrup - we make ours homemade using Maple Syrup but any regular ol' syrup will do just fine.
1/4 Cup Honey
1 1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Medjool Pitted Dates (blended/chopped finely)
2 TBSP Coconut Oil
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt Coconut Oil in the bottom of a bread pan. Coat the sides and the bottom generously. You will likely have some oil leftover in the bottom. This is fine and will mix into the batter to create a crunchier finish on the bread.
3. Mix the flour, rolled oats, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix together the egg, syrup, honey, milk and dates.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture.
6. Stir until moist and well mixed.
7. Add mixture to the bread pan and sprinkle the brown sugar on the top of the batter.
8. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
SHARE THE LOVE
OTHER RELATED POST
We are the Best's! Jo and Mo. We have been immensely blessed with many opportunities to see various parts of the world. We live an average, working life in Cambridge, MA but through our many opportunities have developed a passion to see the world. Our goal is to share with other desiring travelers different tips and experiences from around the world as we begin to check them off our bucket list. If anything, we hope to provide a little sense of motivation and adventure to those wishing to embark on their own journey!
*All photos used in this post are the sole content of BestCaptured*